Pieter Verhees and Johannes Westendorp

Inside Mount Lu, 2011, Verhees-Westendorp.

Pieter Verhees (NL), Drama, sculpture and mechanics. From these disciplines I compose art-works, performances and installations in the real and digital domain. Fascinated by the way we interpret ourselves and how we relate to this whole big thing outside us. My work can be engaged and political like the project “Theatre of War”, a performance with real-time communication between actors on stage and people living in warzones. Or it can be intimate, poetic and contemplative as in “Blikkensteler”, where a machine steals one’s unattended glance. It’s always nice to cosher and intimidate our senses but I prefer to search for the state of transformation; when a sensation or thought reveals something new and blocks the way back. Currently I cooperate with the composer Johannes Westendorp. We developed “Inside Mount Lu”, an interactive music composition where participants enter a sonic world and get involved to use sound as a means to navigate or as a contribution to a musical composition. www.oreid.nl

Johannes Westendorp studied guitar at the conservatories of Tilburg (Netherlands) and Gent (Belgium). In 2010 he completed his studies with a master Artistic Research at the University of Amsterdam. He is part of the electric guitarquartet Zwerm. He designs unreliable musical instruments using them in performances such as 'Tijdwerk', 'Obstructie' and 'Hoquetus'. www.johanneswestendorp.com

Artist Statement

Inside Mount Lu will drop you in a borderland between discovery and creation. You will be challenged to create a transition from functional sound towards expression and perhaps even to a musical experience.