Borusan Contemporary, Perili Köşk İstanbul

On September 18th, guided tours will be provided to ISEA Members in the Perili Köşk, the headquarters and contemporary art museum of Borusan Holding.
Dates: 
Sunday, 18 September, 2011 (All day)
Perili Köşk
Andrew Rogers - Unfurling
Brigitte Kowanz - Continually
U-Ram Choe - Una Lumino Portentum

On September 18th, guided tours will be provided to ISEA Presenters in the Perili Köşk, the headquarters and contemporary art museum of Borusan Holding.

This will be a special event for limited number of ISEA Presenters, please read carefully on how to attend this event.

There are 4 different slots for 25 people each.

The hours are:

 

  • 10:00 to 11:00
  • 11:00 to 12:00
  • 13:00 to 14:00
  • 14:00 to 15:00

 

Please choose your time slot and email: Ms. Sinem Duman sduman@borusan.com subject of the email: 'Perili Köşk Tour'. Please note that availability is limited and we will operate on a first come first served basis.

Perili Köşk

Perili Köşk is the home of the Borusan Holding headquarters and the museum is a building with a long and important history. The construction of Yusuf Ziya Paşa Pavilion, being among the leading examples of the Istanbul architectural heritage and among the most significant and historic buildings of Rumelihisarı, started in 1910s. Yusuf Ziya Paşa, a rich Ottoman tradesman who was also the consultant to the Egyptian governor of that time, initiated the construction of Perili Köşk (the Haunted House or the Kiosk with Fairies) in 1910s. However, in 1914, with the Balkan Wars followed by the emergence of WWI, the workers employed in the construction work were obliged to leave the site for the battlefield, and consequently the building was never completed. Yusuf Ziya Paşa lived in the pavilion along with his second wife Mrs. Nebiye and with her 3 daughters from her first marriage until his death in 1926. After he passed away, the family lived in the pavilion until 1993. At that time, the pavilion was sold to Basri Erdoğan and the family kept living in the 4th floor while the tenants lived in the 1st floor. The pavilion had 4,5 stories in its original form. Due to unfinished construction, the second and third stories remained empty and here the wind made a sinister noise. Consequently, the building started to be called the “Haunted Pavilion” by the local community.

The Museum: Borusan Contemporary, Perili Köşk İstanbul

The collection commits to a steady growth and is currently opening itself to public visitors, gaining museum status. Perili Köşk has become a museum under the name of Borusan Contemporary, Perili Köşk İstanbul, which will be open to the general public on the weekends. The company’s working environment will be preserved during the week, whereas some parts of the building will be modified to become permanent or temporary exhibition spaces.

GCAM, founded by Mr Thomas Krens, the former director of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, was consulted regarding the museum’s visual identity, design and management, including the exhibition program. Asymptote, founded by Mr Hani Rashid and his spouse, on the other hand, was involved in the architectural stage of project development.

The museum inauguration will take place with a group exhibition by 7 Turkish video artists: Esra Ersen, Burak Arıkan, Gülsün Karamustafa, Cevdet Erek, Nasan Tur, Ergin Çavuşoğlu and Aslı Çavuşoğlu will premiere the video works commissioned by Borusan under the curatorship of Mario Codognato and Sylvia Kouvali in the main gallery areas. On the other hand, Dr Necmi Sonmez will curate a selection from the Borusan Collection, to be presented in the other areas of the building and the office spaces.